So, it’s been half a year since I got the Alienware Aurora R7, and I have had my fair share of bugs and annoyances. Today, I’ll talk about a few of those.
It’s been 4½ years since I bought my System76 laptop, and it is showing its age. Back in 2013, an NVIDIA GT670 MX was a pretty decent laptop graphics card (which meant it couldn’t hold a candle to the desktop graphics cards). But I was able to play Hitman: Absolution, the various Mass Effect games, Tomb Raider and so on on it, and with OK graphics levels and resolutions. Fast forward to 2017, and we have HITMAN, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Assassin’s Creed: Origins, and the 670MX really struggled with them (I don’t have Origins, but it struggled with Unity). And so I decided to upgrade. After casting my net far and wide, I decided against going for a laptop again. My current laptop is functioning pretty much as a desktop1, so I might as well get another desktop.
Not because of battery issues, but because I burnt(!) the LVDS cable ↩
So, after all this time, I’m finally bidding good bye to IITB. I finished my MTP work on July 4, got my degree on August 13, but it is today that I feel I’m finally leaving this place. In three days I will be moving to Tokyo and that separation has a finality to it that my brief stay in Pune didn’t — after all, if I wanted, I could reach the campus in about 6 hours from Pune.
So, it’s been around a year and a half since I set up this site. At the time I shifted to Github pages and got a custom domain, I had thought about setting up HTTPS. For several reasons, I’m a proponent of an HTTPS-only web. Where I can, I try to make it so.
I shifted my personal site to Jekyll some time ago, but I hadn’t yet fully embraced it. Now that I’d decided to blog again, I set about using Jekyll to see if it could provide support for the blogger Hyde in me. (Yes, yes, that was terrible.)